Events Manager and Social Secretary
Main purpose of job:
Manage the official entertainment and engagements in the Residence for the Ambassador and the wider Embassy, working closely with the Ambassador’s Executive Assistant and key stakeholders across the Embassy. The successful candidate will also work closely with the Residence Manager to ensure all official events hosted by the Ambassador are properly prepared and run smoothly (eg managing guest lists, arranging access for guests, organising catering in liaison with the Residence Manager, securing sponsorship and suppliers for events). The jobholder is expected, in conjunction with relevant stakeholders, to deliver excellent event organisation, in an effective, efficient, professional, courteous and timely manner. He or she will be expected to be a self-starter, exceptionally organised and able to maintain budgets.
The jobholder will also support as necessary the Ambassador’s Executive Assistant to organise and maintain the posts contacts database, manage diaries and travel arrangements, as well as correspondence writing, filing and contact liaison. The jobholder will also cover, as needed, for the two Executive Assistants, to the Ambassador and Deputy Head of Mission. They should also be able to work well with experienced Residence staff.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Work with the Ambassador and other Embassy teams to organise all events at the Residence, meals, parties and all overnight guests. Work with the Residence Manager to ensure that the Residence is used correctly for entertaining, supporting the objectives of the Embassy. Be the “front of house” for the residence events, greeting guests, ensuring that they are well served.
- Organise invitations, RSVPs, produce guest lists, table cards, menus and table plans in advance of events at the Residence. Ensure all relevant RSVPs are correctly recorded and communicated to relevant stakeholders. Work closely with those requesting events to gain a clear understanding of event objectives and requirements. Assist with event organisation as necessary, including occasionally at the event.
- Develop a strong set of contacts and relationships, both with the hospitality industry, event equipment hire companies and organisations wishing to hold events within the Embassy. Coordinate market research to ensure Value For Money in achieved in line with current FCO guidelines.
- Write correspondence, including all external correspondence relating to events, as well as some in-house correspondence to include invoices, contracts of terms and conditions and event guidelines.
- Contacts. The jobholder will be responsible for the Ambassador and Deputy Head of Mission’s contacts database, ensuring their contacts are up to date.
- Work with the two executive assistants, to the Ambassador and Deputy Head of Mission, to provide collective support when they have the capacity (this depends on the events workload) – including proactive diary management, correspondence, filing, travel arrangements and managing the executive office inbox. Provide cover in periods of absence predicted e.g. leave or TOIL.
Staff: Line management of the Residence Manager
- Experience in office administration and events management.
- Relevant working experience, preferably in an international organisation.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Good self-management, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Programmes, including Word Excel , Word and Outlook.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken).
Learning and development opportunities:
- Other FCO Mandatory Training: Responsible for Information , Diversity at Work, Health & Safety Awareness, Unconscious Bias, Disability Awareness, LBG&T Awareness
- Line Management learning packages
– The period of probation for this role is 90 days.
– The British Embassy in Brasilia offers an attractive working environment and a monthly remuneration package for this role of R$3.039,00 plus benefits. This is a part-time position of 20 hours a week.
– Core office hours Monday – Thursday are 8:30 am – 4:45 pm, Fridays 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
– The jobholder will need to be prepared to work outside normal working hours on an ad hoc basis to oversee evening events.